Food is such a powerful all enveloping thing. Eating can be undretaken as an experience that draws in all of our five senses, tantalizing or torturing us. I love food (as evidenced by my curvy hips) but I am always looking for ways to eat better. Better food that is better for me? Yep. I'm out to try new recipes, tweak old ones and share the ones that work!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Light Fluffy Gluten Free Bread

I didn't even know if it was possible. I have had crumbly, dry, too dense gluten free breads when I bought them at the store. I was almost certain that a good hearty sandwich bread was something my love was going to have to give up when we found out wheat was causing so many of his troubles. I decided to try my baking skill in a field.
The bread turned out light and fluffy and not the tiniest bit crumbly! I was so excited I decided to post the recipe right away instead of waiting for tomorrow.

Gluten Free Oat Bread

Preheat the oven to 350 F (176.6 C) Get out a 2 pound non-stick loaf pan.

3 cups warm water (105 degrees or slightly lower)
2 tablespoons raw sugar
2 tablespoons yeast

In a small mixing bowl mix the water, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes (until it is nice and foamy.)

In the meantime mix the following (dry) ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You can sift it all if you have a sifter but I just wisked the mixture until it there were no lumps left.

2.5 cups Bob's Redmill Gluten Free flour
2 cups oat flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 packet of Knox geletain
2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum

Pour the yeast mixture into the dry mix and turn gently until combined. Don't over mix at this point, it will be lumpy and dry. Now add the following indredients on top of this dough.

4 eggs (make sure they are room temp so they don't kill your yeast)
1/4 olive oil
1 tablespoon molasas
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice vinager
Turn the thick batter into your loaf pan (no need to greese your non-stick pan) and smooth the top for a prettier finished project. Bake for about 1 hour 25 minutes, it should sound hollow when tapped. When the loaf is browned and sounds hollow pull out loaf and cool for 20 minutes. The loaf will fall into itself a bit, it's normal.
Next turn the partially cooled loaf out of the pan and rub the top of the crust (with will be very crusty) with butter and wrapped the loaf in plasitic wrap or foil to hold in the remaining steam. Leave wrapped for 10 minutes. I know it sounds like a lot of work at the last minute but this will give your bread a wonderful chewy crust that is ideal for sandwich bread. Let the bread cool completely before slicing. Store the bread in a zipper bag and with all of the air pushed out. Do not refridgerate... it makes the bread get a bit gummy.

Enjoy! Please post in baking tips you have as this is my first attempt at gluten free bread.

This bread is also high in fiber and protein so it's extra healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh if I started making bread my waistline will be maaaad at me! I love love love bread! Any healthy bread recipe with herbs like rosemary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will work on an herb bread next! I love making different kinds of bread on a regular basis. Today I am planning on a whole wheat bread for the rest of the house hold, since gluten free bread is simply more expensive to make. I will bake off part as a regular wheat bread and part as an herb bread. I will also show how to make the rest into an easy bake as you go option... so you can bake up just enough for dinner and not end up snacking on it when you don't need it. :)

    ReplyDelete