Food is such a powerful all enveloping thing. Eating can be undretaken as an experience that draws in all of our five senses, tantalizing or torturing us. I love food (as evidenced by my curvy hips) but I am always looking for ways to eat better. Better food that is better for me? Yep. I'm out to try new recipes, tweak old ones and share the ones that work!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mexicali makes wheat free easy!

The last few days I have not felt the least bit like cooking. I've had other things on my mind. So, where did this leave me? Looking for something relatively balanced, yummy, wheat free and still indulgent enough to fill that desire for comfort food. I needed something easy that would fill that empty space in my soul without filling out my hips too much. 

Saturday I was staring into the fridge there was left over steak, a bag of corn tortilla, left over pico de gallo, a block of Montery jack cheese, and the end of the fat free sour cream. So a quesadilla was on the menu. By adjusting the proportions right you can keep it on the lighter side.

You will need :
2 corn tortillas
small amount of shredded or THINLY sliced cheese (I used Montery Jack)
Pico de Gallo (mine was homemade but you can use the stuff you find refridgerated at the store)
Left over roasted or grilled meat (I used steak but chicken or pork are great too)

Put one tortilla on a microwave safe plate, then layer a small amount of cheese, moderate amount of meat and then a generous amount of pico de gallo. It should look like this.  -->
Add a little more cheese (it's your glue) and then the other tortilla. Microwave for anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes. It takes about a minute and a half in my microwave. (You can also toast it in the oven or in a pan on the stove top for a crispier finish but I was going for minimum work and clean up.)
I added a dallop of fat free sour cream and some tapatio for extra flavor. And that was lunch and it was delicious!



Last night I faced the same problem. I wanted comfort food. It was late and I was hungry and tired. I wanted a bacon cheeseburger and heap of fries. There are several problems like that. First problem is the thousands of calories involved. Then there is the fact that I couldn't have shared this meal with the love of my life because that bacon cheeseburger has a big wheat bun. I also need to stick mostly to the food that we have on hand to be cost effective. So, we had nachos.

I can see how you would question the idea that nachos would be an better for you than a burger and fries. However, if you go light on the cheese and use vegetarian refried beans (no lard there) and add lots of salsa and pico de gallo and one more time make the switch to fat free (or at least low fat) sour cream you can make it as fabulous as this wonderful thing.
For the beans I warmed them seperately and mixed them 50/50 with a jarred salsa to make them more of a bean sauce to drizzle over the top of our crispy nachos. They were light, fresh and easy. It made for a perfect late dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment