Food is such a powerful all enveloping thing. Eating can be undretaken as an experience that draws in all of our five senses, tantalizing or torturing us. I love food (as evidenced by my curvy hips) but I am always looking for ways to eat better. Better food that is better for me? Yep. I'm out to try new recipes, tweak old ones and share the ones that work!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Honey and Cider Vinager Coleslaw

Cole Slaw Dressing

2/3 cup Mayonaise
2/3 cup Honey
1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup VERY Finely Mince Onion
1 Tsp Ground Mustard

Wisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl, until smooth.

Coleslaw
1 large Cabbage, red or green, outer leaves removed (or if you are feeling fancy 1/2 a red cabbage and 1/2  a green because it is soooo pretty)
2 pounds Carrots, peeled
1 batch of dressing

I use my food processer for this, you could also do it by hand... but I'm too lazy. I "dice" my veggies because that is the texture I prefer but shredded veggies will work just as well.

So, basically "process" all of the cabbage and carrots into dices or shreds. In a large mixing bowl comine veggies with dressing. Cover and refridgerate at least two hours. Stir before serving to redistribute the sauce.

The Cole Slaw will last up to 5 days in the fridge once finished, and the sauce (if you decide not to make a HUGE batch of the salad, and therefore have remaining sauce) will last about a month.

This is great served as a side with barbequed ribs and corn bread because of the honey in the dressing. I also love it served on a pulled pork sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment