Food is such a powerful all enveloping thing. Eating can be undretaken as an experience that draws in all of our five senses, tantalizing or torturing us. I love food (as evidenced by my curvy hips) but I am always looking for ways to eat better. Better food that is better for me? Yep. I'm out to try new recipes, tweak old ones and share the ones that work!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Vegetarian Red and Black Bean Chili with Roasted Red Peppers

I make this on the stove top because I don't yet own a crock pot. Crazy? I know... I need to get on that. You can however add all of the ingredients to a crock pot in the morning and let it cook on high for 3 hours and then turn down for the rest of the day. I should also note that I do not "pre-soak" my beans, I just rinse and start cooking... this is another sign that I am infact a lazy cook.

Vegetarian Red and Black Bean Chili with Roasted Red Peppers

One pound driedblack beans, rinsed
One pounds dried small red beans, rinsed
1 quart veggie stock (if you are meat eating family and want a "meatier" flavor you can use beef stock)
2 quarts Water
1 28oz can of tomato purree OR petite diced tomatoes (again this is a matter of personal taste)
1/4 cup flour of your choice (you could easily use wheat, I use oat or rice so that it is gluten free)
1 medium onion, diced
1 fresh green pepper, diced
1 jar of roasted red peppers, diced(I buy them at the Dollar Tree, I *think* it's a 12 ounce jar)
3 TBSP mince garlic (fresh or jarred is fine)
3 TBSP Chili Powder
Salt to taste

In large soup pot (mine is a 5 quart) add beans, stock, and water. Bring this up to a rolling boil. Boil for 15 minutes, reduce temperature and simmer for approximately an hour and a half. (If the liquid level gets below the top of the beans, add more liquid at that point.)

Pour about 1/4 half of the tomatoes in the pot. Then mix the flour into the tomatoes that are still in the can, until you have no more lumps of flour. (Mixing it in the can prevents lumps in the chili.) Add the tomato and flour mixture to the pot and stir until combined. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, and chili powder and stir well. Bring back up to simmering.

Simmer for at least 3 more hours, stirring occasionally. Taste before serving and add any necessary salt.  Makes between 3 and 3.5 quarts so there is plenty for dinner AND freezing for another night or nights.

This is a really flavorful chili but not to spicy for kids, my 7.5 month old even loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment