Food is such a powerful all enveloping thing. Eating can be undretaken as an experience that draws in all of our five senses, tantalizing or torturing us. I love food (as evidenced by my curvy hips) but I am always looking for ways to eat better. Better food that is better for me? Yep. I'm out to try new recipes, tweak old ones and share the ones that work!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Garlic and Herb Polenta

I use a rice cooker for this, but as an alternative you can also cook it low and slow on the stove top, stirring constantly. I'm just a lazy cook (I can admit that) so I use the rice cooker whenever possible.

Garlic and Herb Polenta

2 Cups Coarse Yellow Cornmeal
2 Cups Water
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 TBSP Minced Garlic
2 TBSP Italian Seasoning
2 TBSP EV Olive Oil

Mix cornmeal, water, and chicken broth until all lumps are broken up. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Start rice cooker.

When the timer goes off on the rice cooker, stir the mixture breaking all the lumps, until is an even consistency. Turn the heat back on for 10 minutes. While the polenta is finishing cooking grease a 12 ct muffin tin.

Spoon the polenta (which will still be pretty soft) into the muffin tins. It should make 12 very full "muffins". Let this sit for 30 minutes before unmolding. You can serve these hot topped with pasta sauce or you can finish cooling them and refridgerate to rehead throughout the week as needed.

One of my favorite ways to serve these is either with a light marinara and roasted zuchini on the side, for a more summery dish. My other favorite is to make a tomato sauce with red wine, italian sausage, mushrooms, zuchini chunks, and bell pepers and serve that over them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment